Thursday 29 March 2012

5. How did you attract/address your audience? (DRAFT)


My magazine is aimed mostly to Young Alts so to attract this audience I used a variety of techniques on my different pages. The front cover is the most essential page because this is what entices the reader. To make my magazine appeal to this audience I concentrated on the cover lines making them relate to the genre and to the music they listen too, so in this case I placed well known bands such as Green Day, Muse, AC DC, The Kooks, The Vaccines to get them to understand what the magazine was offering. I then used a banner to show the audience some features they would be interested in, for example posters, which suits this group of alternative teens because they are renoun for sticking them up on bedroom walls and making them into calendars.
It was also essential that I showed my unique selling point which is the fact my magazine promotes smaller unknown bands, to do this I placed a large front shot of my artist (in this case she being a unknown member of an underground band) in the center placed around all these well known bands which in this case make the audience seemingly interested, because they feel they need to find out who this artist is because knowledge within their music genre is a big factor within their social standing.

For my contents I split the page up into 5 main headings, this making it easy for my laid back fun searching audience to find what their looking for with relative ease.  It also makes the smaller niche audiences that could become interested in my magazine to search for the more mainstream artist features. The images also make the magazine interesting and intriguing to the audience, the two smaller images consist of weird faces and actions which interest the group because they want to find out about the story behind these, and these crazy and weird actions also make them further enticed. My main story image is the largest this is so most attention is on her, there is no heading around her deliberately so the audience still no not much about her but her page number in large lettering makes the audience once again interested in finding out who she is.

My double page spread try’s to relate to the audience through different fonts and colours, which make certain quotes, and important factors stand out. For example the main heading “GHOSTS” is in a distorted chipped font, which relates to the jerky rock exterior the artist, shows and the genre of music they create. The black heading across the image “behind the album” shows what the article is about but still doesn’t reveal anything about the band so the audience are intrigued still to find out who the female character is. The quote “dinosaurs and pyramids” is deliberately coloured differently to stand out from the text, this is so the target audience read this first and the words “dinosaurs and pyramids” is so weird and none connected this relates to what they are looking for and why this artist/band is for them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment